Are my survey responses anonymous and secure?
Personal information can be collected by a survey creator in two ways: (1) by expressly asking you for your personal details in the survey and (2) by configuring the survey collector options to automatically collect certain information.
We provide several survey distribution methods called collectors. Every collector type has different settings or collector options that affect the survey-taking experience and what respondent information is recorded.
- All collectors allow the survey creator to turn Anonymous Responses on or off, except Facebook Messenger collectors.
- All collectors allow the survey creator to track IP addresses or not, except Facebook Messenger collectors.
- Email Invitation collectors allow the survey creator to track email invitations.
- Each response recorded through the Facebook Messenger collector is associated with the respondent's first and last name from Facebook. At this time, there's no way to turn this off. Additionally, this collector type does not record IP address. Facebook may also have access to the responses as the provider of Facebook Messenger, please see Facebook's Data Policy for additional information.
Survey creators may have their own privacy policies which apply to surveys that they create using our services and that detail how they handle your personally identifiable information.
- We encourage you to read any such policy, or to contact the survey creator directly to ask them any questions about their privacy practices.
- If the survey creator has not disclosed the collection method in the introduction of the survey, please contact them to verify if the response is anonymous.
SurveyMonkey takes our users’ security and privacy concerns seriously. We strive to ensure that user data is kept secure, and that we collect only as much personal data as is required to make our users’ experience with SurveyMonkey as efficient and satisfying as possible. We also aim to collect data in the most unobtrusive manner possible. We aim to be transparent about our security infrastructure and practices to help reassure you that your data is sufficiently protected. For more details, see our Security Statement.
Surveys begin with https:// which means your survey responses are sent over a secure, encrypted connection.