There are many ways to add images to your survey in the Design Survey section of your survey.
An independent image is a static image, separate from any survey questions. You can add an independent image via URL from the web, or you can upload the image from your computer.
To add an independent image to a survey:
- Click the Design Survey tab.
- In the BUILDER section of the left sidebar, drag and drop Image onto the survey.
- Upload an image from your computer, or enter the URL of an image on the web. The URL must end in .jpg, .gif, or .png.
- (Optional) You can add the following labels to your image:
- Image Label: Survey takers see this text next to the image.
- Descriptive Text: Text that makes your image accessible for people using a screen reader, but won't be visible on the survey page.
- Nickname: An image description for your own internal use.
- Click Save.
- Format: JPG, PNG, or GIF
- File Size: 2MB or less
You can use the formatting toolbar to add an image into a question text or answer choice field. You’ll need to upload your image to your own web server or an image hosting service such as Imgur in order to add an image from the formatting toolbar.
To add an image using the formatting toolbar:
- In the text field where you want to add an image, click P in the formatting toolbar.
- Enter the image URL in the Source field. The URL must end in .jpg, .gif, or .png.
- Enter an Image description to add alternative text to your image. This makes the image accessible for people using a screen reader, but won't be visible on the survey page.
- To resize the image, enter the new dimensions in pixels. To maintain the same height-to-width ratio, select Constrain proportions.
- Click Ok.
You can add an image using the formatting toolbar in the following fields:
- Question Text
- Answer choice fields
- A/B Test (Random Assignment) variable fields.
You cannot insert images in the following fields:
- Validation error messages
- Answer choices for a Dropdown question type
- Page Title
- Page Description
You can add a background image when you create a Custom Theme.
Image A/B Tests allow you to randomly display different versions of an image and set the percentages of your respondents that will be shown each variation.
Learn more: A/B Tests (Random Assignment)
Image File Size Too Large
If the image you want to add to your survey is too large to upload, you can host the image on a third-party site and add it to your survey by entering the URL. Upload limits won't apply.
When you add an image using the formatting toolbar, you will see the option to change the image dimensions. You can also choose whether or not to constrain proportions to maintain the same height-to-width ratio.
If you need to resize an independent image, you will need to do this in a program outside of SurveyMonkey.
The Image Choice question auto-formats your images for you so they'll look great on desktop or mobile.