SurveyMonkey Research Survey Privacy Notice
Last updated: September 15, 2017
When you complete surveys that are conducted by SurveyMonkey, if you are in the United States, SurveyMonkey Inc. is responsible for your responses. If you are responding outside the United States, SurveyMonkey Europe UC is responsible for holding and keeping your personal information in compliance with data protection law. You will find our contact details at the bottom of this Privacy Notice under How to Contact SurveyMonkey.
This privacy notice only applies to surveys conducted by SurveyMonkey that include a link to this privacy notice. It does not apply, for example, to any other SurveyMonkey sites, products or services, or to surveys conducted by third parties via SurveyMonkey’s survey platform.
What Personal Information SurveyMonkey Collects
Personal information will be collected from you if you choose to participate in the survey. SurveyMonkey collects the following types of personal information:
- Your responses to survey questions
- Your IP address
- The date and time when you took the survey
- Contact details which you may provide, such as your email address
Why SurveyMonkey Collects Your Personal Information
Your survey responses will be used by SurveyMonkey for research and commercial purposes. SurveyMonkey may use the collected information to administer the survey, to improve future surveys, and to analyze aggregate trends and survey results by, for example, looking at trends regarding how groups in particular locations respond to particular questions. SurveyMonkey may also use your personal information for other purposes if you have given your consent for us to do so, such as contacting you regarding participation in future research.
On What Grounds SurveyMonkey Collects Your Personal Information
You do not have to take the survey. By doing so, you give your consent to SurveyMonkey using your personal information in the way set out in this Privacy Notice.
We also have a legitimate commercial interest to use your personal information in order to administer the survey and to improve future surveys. We will also analyze aggregate trends and survey results both for our own purposes and for commercial reasons.
Other Organizations Who Receive Your Personal Information
Your survey responses but not your email address or IP address may be sold to or shared with third parties, such as media firms, financial services, or market research firms. While such third parties may be able to identify you based on your responses, SurveyMonkey contractually prohibits such third parties from disclosing your identity to other third parties and using survey responses to identify you as an individual or contact you for any purpose (marketing or otherwise).
SurveyMonkey may also disclose the personal information you provide to its affiliates.
SurveyMonkey may also disclose your personal information in the following situations:
- To comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.
- To protect the rights or property of SurveyMonkey or our customers, including to combat fraud or protect SurveyMonkey’s interests, or to enforce the terms governing your use of the services.
- As part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.
- Where SurveyMonkey believes in good faith that access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of SurveyMonkey employees, customers or the public.
SurveyMonkey may publish our analysis of survey responses and the results of our research. Such publications will not contain your personal information.
Where Information Is Processed and Stored
Your personal information may be stored and/or processed in the United States or any other country where SurveyMonkey or its affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities. We enter into standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission with our international group companies to ensure the safe transfer of your personal information. Our parent company, SurveyMonkey Inc., participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework, which provides a way for us to transfer personal information of our respondents safely and securely to the US (please see SurveyMonkey Inc.'s certification by visiting the Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield list for further information).
How Long We Use Your Data
We will comply with best practice under data protection laws when deciding how long to keep your data. Generally, we will not retain personally data about you past 2 years from the last date you responded to a survey.
SurveyMonkey is happy to assist you in exercising your rights under data protection law.
You can contact us at any time in order to:
- Find out what kind of personal information SurveyMonkey holds about you and what we do with that information.
- Get a copy of the personal information which SurveyMonkey holds about you.
- Have SurveyMonkey update or correct any inaccurate personal information.
- Receive a copy of the information which you have provided to us in a form which makes it easy for you to give this information to a different organization.
- Take back your consent to SurveyMonkey using your personal information and to have your information deleted (please note, if you take back your consent, this will not affect our use of your personal information before you notified us that you no longer consent).
- Stop SurveyMonkey from using your personal data if you believe that the personal information we hold about you is incorrect or our use of your information is unlawful.
You will find our contact details at the bottom of this Privacy Notice under How to Contact SurveyMonkey.
How to Make a Complaint if you are in Europe
If you are based in Europe and you are not satisfied with any response you receive from us or have an issue with the way we handle your personal information, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner in Ireland. You can contact this office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Contact SurveyMonkey
For general SurveyMonkey privacy issues, or to submit feedback or ask SurveyMonkey questions about its privacy practices and this privacy notice, please contact:
|Within the United States||Outside the United States|
One Curiosity Way
San Mateo, CA 94403, USA
|Attn: Data Protection Officer|
SurveyMonkey Europe UC
2 Shelbourne Buildings,
Or you can contact us by email at email@example.com.
Updating this Privacy Notice
SurveyMonkey may occasionally update this privacy notice to reflect customer feedback and changes in its business or to comply with applicable laws and regulations. When SurveyMonkey makes such an update, SurveyMonkey will revise the "last updated" date at the top of this privacy notice. If there are material changes to this privacy notice concerning how SurveyMonkey will handle your personal information, SurveyMonkey will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification where possible.