Opted Out or Bounced Contacts
In messages you send through SurveyMonkey, you're required to include an opt out link to allow recipients to unsubscribe from all survey invitations sent through your account via the Email Invitation Collector.
- Any recipient who clicks this link is labeled as opted out in your Email Invitation Collector and Contacts.
- After someone has opted out, you're no longer able to send them messages via the Email Invitation Collector.
- To remove the opted out status, the owner of the email address needs to go through the opt in process.
As explained in our Anti-Spam Policy, we ask that you remove recipients who opted out from Contacts within ten days.
A hard bounce means there's a permanent reason an email cannot be delivered. A hard bounce most likely occurs if the email address is invalid — doesn't exist or contains a typo — or the receiving mail server is blocking our IP addresses or domains.
- Any recipient whose email address hard bounced a message is labeled as bounced in your Email Invitation Collector and Contacts.
- If an email address bounced a message sent from any SurveyMonkey account, no one in SurveyMonkey can send them messages via the Email Invitation Collector.
- To remove the bounced status, the owner of the email address needs to go through the opt in process.
We monitor outgoing messages sent through Email Invitation Collectors to ensure we meet industry standards regarding bounce rates. If you exceed bounce rates, we may suspend your mailing privileges within SurveyMonkey.
Viewing Opted Out or Bounced Contacts
When composing an invitation, you're able to add opted out or bounced contacts in the Send To field. However, we review the recipient list before sending the message and don't send messages to email addresses that have previously opted out or bounced.
The Overview tab of any Email Invitation Collector contains a chart with the number of recipients who opted out or bounced.
To view the specific recipients who opted out or bounced:
- Go to the Recipients tab.
- Click All recipients and select the status from the drop-down menu.
You can't remove recipients who opted out or bounced from the collector, but you can remove them from Contacts so you won't add them to future collectors.
When adding or importing contacts, you're able to add email addresses that opted out or bounced to Contacts. However, the contacts will be automatically labeled as opted out or bounced.
To view and delete opted out or bounced contacts:
- In the left sidebar of Contacts, click the blue Opted Out group or red Bounced group.
- Check the box next to the contacts you wish to delete.
- Click Delete Permanently at the top of the list.
Deleting contacts within Contacts does not remove them from existing collectors, but it will prevent you from adding them to future collectors.