Opted Out or Bounced Contacts
In messages you send through SurveyMonkey, you're required to include [RemoveLink] to allow recipients to opt out of all survey invitations sent through your account via the Email Collector.
- Any recipient who clicks this link is labeled as Opted Out in your Email Collector and Contacts.
- After someone has opted out, you're no longer able to send them messages via the Email Collector. If you try to add them to a message, you'll see a green notification that the recipient was not added.
- To remove the Opted Out status, the owner of the email address needs to go through the opt in process.
A hard bounce means there is a permanent reason an email cannot be delivered. A hard bounce most likely occurs if the email address is invalid (doesn't exist or contains a typo) or the receiving mail server is blocking our domain (does not allow SurveyMonkey IP addresses or domains).
- Any recipient whose email address hard bounced a message is labeled as Bounced in your Email Collector and Contacts.
- If an email address bounced a message sent from any SurveyMonkey account, no one in SurveyMonkey can send them messages via the Email Collector. If you try to add them to a message, you'll see a green notification that the recipient was not added.
- To remove the Bounced status, the owner of the email address needs to go through the opt in process.
Managing Contacts who Opted Out or Bounced
From an Email Collector, click Recipients in the grey menu on the left. You can display All Opted Out or All Bounced Email recipients.
In Contacts, contacts are added to a blue Opted Out group or a red Bounced group. These contacts also appear in blue or red font in All Contacts or any other group you assigned them to.
As explained in our Anti-Spam Policy, we ask that you remove recipients who opted out from your email lists and Contacts within 10 days after they opt out. We also monitor outgoing messages sent through Email Collectors to ensure we meet industry standards regarding bounce rates. If you exceed bounce rates, we may suspend your mailing privileges within SurveyMonkey.
To remove recipients from an Email Collector:
- Go to the Collect Responses section of your survey.
- Click the name of the collector.
- Click Recipients from the grey menu on the left.
- On the right of the page in a grey box, click ✖ Remove Recipients in Bulk.
- Select to remove all opted-out or bounced recipients.
- Click Remove Recipients.
To delete contacts from Contacts:
- Go to your Contacts (formerly known as Address Book).
- Click the Opted Out or Bounced group in the left sidebar.
- Check the box at the top of the contact list to select all contacts.
- Click Delete Permanently at the top of the list.
You can also download recipients who opted out or bounced from within an Email Collector. You may need to enable pop-ups to download the export.