How to Create a Survey
- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in beta.
Which version am I using? »
You can create your own custom surveys. This tutorial walks you through the steps and provides links to more detailed sections in our comprehensive help center. Also, feel free to click any of the topics below for more precise help in the area you're looking for:
Take a look through our quick video to get started, or follow the instructions below.
Here's how you'll want to get started to create a new survey:
- First, from any page in your account, click Create Survey from the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- To create a totally new survey, pick Create a new survey. Enter a Title in the "Title" box, and pick a category (for your reference only).
- Click Continue.
We have over a dozen question types you can add to your survey. A best practice, since respondent answers are recorded as they turn pages in the survey, is to keep the number of questions per page small. Also, this means the respondent doesn't have to scroll and makes the survey feel more manageable and effortless for your respondents. Here's how to add questions and page breaks:
- From the Design Survey tab, click Add Question.
- The dialog window will open for you, with Question Type and Question Text visible. Type the text of your question, and then pick your question type from the drop-down question type menu. See question types and formatting options.
- If you'd like to add another question directly after, click Save & Add Next Question and repeat as necessary.
- When you finish your last question, click Save & Close. Now you're ready to add page breaks.
- Scroll to the part of the survey you'd like to divide with a page break.
- Between your groups of questions, click Split Page Here.
Enter a Page Title and Page Description for your respondents to see.
Tip! This is a great place to enter text for a header or section title.
- Click Save Page.
On our paid plans, we have an abundance of advanced features. There are too many to break out here, but click on any of our links to click-by-click answers and directions:
- Use conditional logic to skip respondents ahead based on their answers
- Use question and answer piping to re-use answer choices respondents previously picked
- Customize the look and feel of your survey with custom themes or logos
- Use HTML to have even more flexibility with fonts and colors
- Use A/B testing with Random Assignment
- Validate & require answers to certain questions
- Add a custom Thank You page
- To explore more features, see here.
Once you've created the design of your survey, now you're ready to send or deploy it to your audience. We offer a number of ways to do this:
- Create a generic web link URL you can use any way you'd like;
- Create a trackable email invitation that can only answered once;
- Embed your survey on your website using HTML;
- Have your survey show up in a pop-up window when respondents visit your site.
Here, we'll walk through our most universal collector type— the generic web link.
- From your Design Survey tab, click Send Survey. This button is located up in the right-hand corner.
- You'll land on your Send your Survey page. You can copy and paste this URL to email, post to Facebook, or print.
- Click Change Settings from the left-hand side if you'd like your respondents to be able to access the survey more than once. By default, the setting is once per computer.
- Click Change Settings if you'd like to manage what happens when respondents finish the survey— whether you'd like them to land on the SurveyMonkey end page by default; have the browser window close; or even go to a page of your choice (this is availble on GOLDand PLATINUMplans).
- See more on collecting responses.
What about Analyzing Responses & Results?
We just happen to have a tutorial (with a video!) on this very topic. Check out our tutorial on analyzing results.
When you create a new survey, you can choose to start from scratch, copy an existing survey from your account, or use a prewritten survey template.
To create a new survey:
- Click +Create Survey in the upper right corner of your account.
Choose from the following options:
- Build a New Survey from Scratch - Create a survey completely from scratch. You will start with a single blank page and will need to add and write the questions yourself. You can also use our Question Bank to access thousands of survey questions written by our methodologists.
- Edit a Copy of an Existing Survey - Create a copy of an existing survey on your account. Themes, logos, logic, and other survey design settings will carry over to the copied version of the survey.
- Start from an Expert Template - Use this method to start with a template designed by SurveyMonkey methodologists. The questions used in these pre-made surveys are written to reduce bias and utilize best practices for data collection. You can still customize the survey and questions when starting from a template.