Sending Surveys via Classic Email Invitation
The Email Invitation Collector allows you to email your contacts an invitation to take your survey and keep track of who has responded.
Each email invitation contains a unique survey link tied to the email address it was sent to, so each survey response is correlated to the email address that submitted it.
Using the Email Invitation Collector, you can do all the following (and more):
- Recipients: Track who has and hasn't taken your survey.
- Messages: Send automatic reminders to people who haven't responded yet.
- Collector Settings: Exclude email addresses from survey results.
Another benefit to this collector type is respondents can start the survey on one computer and finish it on another since the unique survey link is tied to their email address and not a browser cookie.
Sending the Invitation
Review the following steps to create, send, and manage an Email Invitation Collector.
While editing the collector, click Save and Resume Later at top of the page to save your progress as a draft. The status of the collector remains as NOT CONFIGURED until you send or schedule a message.
Step 1: Add New Collector
To add an Email Invitation Collector:
- Go to the Collect Responses section of your survey.
- Choose Track Your Survey Respondents, and click Next. (If you already have a collector for your survey, click + New Collector from the top-right corner of the collector list.)
- Familiarize yourself with the grey navigation menu on the left of the page.
Step 2: Add Recipients
If you already created a draft or sent a message, click Add Recipients from the grey box on the right of the Recipients page to add new email addresses to the collector.
From Recipients, you can add email addresses to the collector in a few ways:
If you have a list of email addresses, you can copy and paste them into the collector.
Each contact needs to be on its own line. If you're adding additional information, like name or custom data, please follow the formatting guidelines described for adding contacts.
The Email Invitation Collector integrates with your Contacts (formerly known as Address Book) so you can easily send surveys to all your contacts or to specific groups of contacts you create.
You can copy over recipients you added to previous Email Invitation Collectors you used. Select a survey from the drop-down menu, then check the box next to the relevant collectors.
After you add recipients, a green notification banner confirms if recipients were added. Recipients who bounced or opted out can't be added to the collector. Additionally, there are some recipient limits.
The Email Invitation Collector can record one survey response per email address added.
- You shouldn't add a listserv or email alias to the collector
- Respondents shouldn't forward the survey link to anyone else.
You can create multiple Email Invitation Collectors to send a survey to an email address more than once, or use a Web Link Collector.
Step 3: Create Message
You can customize the From email address, the subject line of the email, and the invitation message itself.
The From email address is the reply-to email address. Respondents can reply to this email address to ask you questions. We'll also email this address with any bounced messages.
We require BASIC users to verify the From email address before sending a message. When you click Save and Continue, you'll see an error message. Click Send verification link now and follow the steps. You need to click on a verification link sent to the email address.
When viewing the invitation from an inbox, recipients see the following in the From field:
[From Email Address] via surveymonkey.com
Upon opening the email, respondents may see some additional information in the From field:
firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of [From Email Address] via surveymonkey.com <email@example.com>
With a PLATINUM plan, click Customize by the survey link to use the white label domain research.net in place of any references to surveymonkey.com in the From field.
While recipients see your email address in the From field, each respondent only sees their own email address in the To field—recipients can't see the email address of any other recipient.
Take the opportunity to write a descriptive subject line. Rather than saying, "Take this survey!" include the topic of the survey or your company name so respondents know what the email contains.
You can't send a message without a subject line. Additionally, you can't send a subject line with a high percentage of capital letters.
You can customize the invitation message, send the invitation using the draft message we provided, or use a message you wrote previously. We store your 25 most recent messages.
You need to include the [SurveyLink] and [RemoveLink] placeholder tags before you can send a message. These placeholders are automatically replaced with active hyperlinks when the email is sent.
You can use additional placeholders if you previously added metadata about your recipients when adding them in the collector or in Contacts.
Below the message box, select Send this message with your own HTML to enable HTML formatting. The entire message must be written in HTML or the message may not format properly when it's sent. You don't need to include the <body></body> tags, but every paragraph should be surrounded by <p></p> tags.
We monitor outgoing messages from Email Invitation Collectors. Make sure to read our Anti-Spam policy so you understand what is and is not permitted, and follow our guidelines on avoiding spam filters.
Step 4: Customize Collector Settings
Collector settings enable you to customize the survey-taking experience for your respondents—they affect who can access your survey, if respondents can edit their survey responses after submitting, and what respondents see when they're done.
You can access your collector settings from the Change Settings or Change Restrictions pages in the collector. A couple settings to note:
- You can choose not to save email addresses in survey results and still track who has or has not responded to the survey. To make survey results anonymous, do not add identifiable information in custom data associated with recipients you add to the Email Invitation Collector. This data may be passed through to survey results.
- It isn't possible to allow respondents to take the survey more than once.
Step 5: Send Invitation
To send your survey invitation:
- Click Messages from the grey menu on the left of the page.
- Click Resume next to the draft message you want to send.
- Click Send Now at the top right of the page. (You can also Schedule message delivery for a future date and time.)
If you choose Send Now, the message doesn't send immediately—it will be sent 5 minutes after you click the button. This allows you time to cancel the message and allows us time to properly place it in our messaging queue.
It typically takes 15 min for recipients to receive a message after it's sent, but it can sometimes take an hour.
If you're sending invitations to a large number of contacts, please review the daily and monthly message limits.
After you send an email invitation message, you can track who has or hasn't responded and send reminder messages from the Recipients and Messages pages of the collector.
You can do the following under Recipient Summary:
- Send Reminder Email: Send another message to recipients who haven't taken the survey yet.
- Add Recipients: Add new email addresses to the collector. You will need to go through the steps to send a new message, but you can use the message you previously wrote.
- Remove Recipients in Bulk: You can permanently remove recipients who have not yet taken the survey. Recipients who have responded can't be removed.
- Download Respondents: Export your recipient list as a CSV or XML file.
Under Display, click the drop-down menu to display the following categories of respondents:
- All Recipients: All recipients you've added to a message, whether it's a draft, scheduled, or sent.
- All Unsent/New: Recipients you've added to a draft or scheduled message that hasn't been sent yet.
- All Sent: Recipients you sent a message to.
- All Responded: Recipients who took the survey.
- Partially Responded: Recipients who started the survey but have not yet finished it (haven't clicked Done at the end of the survey).
- Completely Responded: Recipients who completed the survey by clicking Done at the end of the survey (they may have skipped questions).
- All Unresponded: Recipients who have not taken the survey.
- All Opted Out: Recipients who opted out of messages sent by your account.
- All Bounced Email: Recipients who could not receive the message because the email was bounced.
Click on an email address to see the recipient's specific contact details.
- You can manually add or edit a survey response for a recipient. To allow them to edit on their own, edit the collector settings.
- You can't edit a recipient's email address if you already sent a message to them. However, you can add their updated email address as a new recipient.
- You can't remove recipients from the collector who have taken the survey.
You can view your draft, scheduled, and sent messages.
- Draft: Click Resume to finish sending the message or Delete to permanently delete it.
- Scheduled: Click the subject line of the message to view it and the recipients. Cancel delivery to move the message to your draft messages.
- Sent: Click the subject line of the message to view it and the recipients.
To send a reminder message to recipients who haven't taken the survey yet or who have only partially completed it, go to the Recipient section and click Send Reminder Email from the Recipient Summary.
You can set up the reminder message to send at a future date and time to recipients who haven't completed or only partially completed the survey. When the time comes to send the message, we'll automatically remove recipients who responded.
To resend a message to a particular recipient, create a new message and select Custom Criteria. You can specify their email address or other criteria. Then click use previous message when creating the message.
To send a thank your message to recipients who completed the survey, go to the Messages section and click Create New Message. On the next page, choose to send to Responded.
Since all messages sent through the Email Collector require a [SurveyLink] and [RemoveLink], you might want to export your recipient list to send a thank you message through your own email account.