Creating a Web Link for Your Survey
Using a Web Link is the fastest and most versatile way to distribute your survey and collect responses. Post the survey link on social media, email it to respondents using your own email client, print it on a newsletter, and more.
To create a Web Link:
- Go to the Collect Responses section of your survey.
- Choose Web Link Collector and click Next. (If you already have a collector for your survey, click + New Collector from the top-right corner of the collector list.)
- Review the collector options below the survey link to control the survey experience or add restrictions to the survey. For example, you can turn on Multiple Responses or Anonymous Responses.
- Edit the nickname of the collector by clicking the pencil icon in the dark grey bar at the top left of the page—this nickname does not show to respondents.
- Copy the survey link and paste it wherever you'd like. The link works as long as the collector is open—Web Link Collectors are open by default.
By default, your survey URL will look something like this, with a string of letters and numbers at the end:
You can create a Custom URL Ending with any pro plan. Or use the White Label URL to remove SurveyMonkey branding with a PLATINUM plan. If you customize the URL after you send the survey out, both the old link and the new link will work.
By default, Web Link Collectors record IP addresses. However, this information can't really help you track respondents. Instead, you can add required questions to your survey to collect identifying information from respondents, or you can use Custom Variables.
Alternatively, you can use an Email Invitation instead of a Web Link to track respondents.
Your Web Link Collector URL is a public link, meaning that anyone who has it will be able to access your survey and complete it. Web crawlers can also access public links, and may index your survey on a search engine.
If you wish to use a Web Link Collector but do not want the link to be public, consider password-protecting your survey.