Canceling an Account or Disabling Auto-Renewal
To ensure your access to professional features isn't interrupted, professional plans are set to auto-renew by default.
If you disable auto-renew to cancel your professional plan:
- Your plan will automatically downgrade to a BASIC plan at the end of your billing cycle.
- Your surveys and data are saved in your account, as long as your account was not HIPAA-enabled.
- You can re-upgrade to a professional plan at any time to access paid features again.
Please click a topic below for more information.
You can disable or cancel auto-renewal for your professional plan from your Billing Details. This prevents your payment method from being charged at your next renewal date or prevents your next invoice (or proforma invoice) from being issued.
To cancel or disable auto-renewal:
- Click your username in the upper right corner of your account.
- Click My Account.
- Click the Billing Details tab.
- Under the Billing Profile section, click Cancel to the right of Auto-renew.
- Confirm the cancellation terms and date, and click Cancel Auto-Renew.
You'll have access to the plan's professional features until the end of your billing cycle. We do not offer pro-rated refunds for unused remaining time on a plan. If you need a professional plan for a short amount of time, we offer a monthly payment option.
Your account will downgrade to a BASIC plan at the end of your billing cycle.
To cancel a professional plan if you pay by invoice, please disable auto-renewal. This prevents your next invoice (or proforma invoice) from being issued, and your plan will downgrade to a BASIC plan after your next renewal date.
If you have a current unpaid invoice (or proforma invoice), you won't see the option disable auto-renewal. Please contact us to cancel your professional plan.
To cancel your Enterprise subscription, please contact us for assistance.
If you miss a payment or cancel a HIPAA-enabled account, we'll place your account into a suspended state at the end of your billing cycle.
- We'll retain the account for the period of time stated in the BAA to provide you with an opportunity to renew it.
- At the end of the suspension period, we'll close the account and delete all data in it.
Learn more: HIPAA Compliance and SurveyMonkey
If you reside in Europe, you may have additional cancellation rights.
If you only ever had a BASIC plan, we can permanently delete your account. Your data and username will be permanently deleted—the action can't be undone.
To permanently delete a BASIC account:
- Delete your SurveyMonkey Contribute account, if you have one. These accounts are linked, so you can't delete your SurveyMonkey account and keep your SurveyMonkey Contribute account.
- Contact us via email and include the following statement with your username: I confirm I'd like to permanently delete my account with the username [your username].
If the account has ever been a paid account, we can disassociate the account from your information, but we can't delete the account history entirely due to legal reasons. Please contact us for more information on the process.
If you purchased a SurveyMonkey plan through the SurveyMonkey mobile app for iOS, billing is managed by Apple instead of SurveyMonkey. Cancel auto-renewal from your mobile device or through iTunes »