XLS (Excel) Exports
You can open your survey results in Excel by downloading an XLS or XLS+ export.
Summary Data exports organize survey results by question. Depending on question type, the XLS export includes presentation-ready tables with:
- The text of the question and answer options
- The response count and percentage per answer choice and a corresponding chart
- The number of respondents who answered and the number who skipped the question
All Responses Data
All Responses Data exports organize survey results by respondent. The XLS export includes a spreadsheet where each row contains the answers from a given respondent, allowing you to do your own analysis in Excel. The question type determines how the data is reported in the spreadsheet.
In the majority of cases, the XLS export should fulfill your needs. You may want an XLS+ export if you're importing the data into an advanced statistical or analytical software.
This information will help you get started reading the spreadsheet:
- Row 1 has headers for each column. The full list is below.
- Questions with multiple answer choices allowed list each choice in separate columns in row 2.
- Each row from row 3 on contains the responses from a particular respondent. The last response received is listed first in row 3.
- The answer choice appears in the cell if the respondent selected it. If they did not select it, the cell is blank.
- If your data cannot fit within 255 columns, the spreadsheet will be broken up into multiple files.
The columns are organized in the following way:
|A||Respondent ID||The unique number associated with the respondent.|
|B||Collector ID||The unique number for the collector (useful if you have multiple collectors).|
|C||Start Date||Time stamp when the respondent accessed the survey.|
|D||End Date||Time stamp when the respondent submitted or last modified the survey.|
|E||IP Address||The respondent's IP address, if you used IP tracking.|
|F||Email Address||Available if you used the Email Invitation Collector.|
|G||First Name||Available if you added this to the contact and used the Email Invitation Collector.|
|H||Last Name||Available if you added this to the contact and used the Email Invitation Collector.|
|I||Custom 1||Available if you added this to the contact and used the Email Invitation Collector.|
|J||Question 1||The first question of your survey.|
- Condensed: Displays the answer chosen in a single column. This only affects questions with a single answer choice allowed.
- Expanded: Displays one column for every answer choice. This is how questions with multiple answers allowed are displayed whether Condensed or Expanded is selected.
- Actual Answer Text: Displays answer choices in the spreadsheet exactly as they're written in the survey design.
- Numerical Value: Converts answer choices to numerical values, assigning 1 to the first answer choice in the list, 2 to the second answer choice in the list, and so on. If you added Other as an answer choice, it is assigned 0. For Rating questions, the weighted value assigned in the survey design is used. You'll need to build your own key to see which answer choice belongs to which assigned number.