- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in beta.
Which version am I using? »
SurveyMonkey's question types range from closed-ended to open-ended formats. The types of questions used in a survey determine how the data is presented in the analyze section.
Example Question Types
Note: This video is only available in English.
- Click Create Survey in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the Edit Survey mode, click Add Question.
- Choose a question type from the drop-down menu in the question builder.
- Enter the text for the question and answer choices.
- Click Save & Close or Save & Add Next Question to save it.
Available Question Types
- Multiple Choice (Only One Answer Allowed)
- Multiple Choice (Multiple Answers Allowed)
- Matrix of Choices (Only One Answer Per Row)
- Matrix of Choices (Multiple Answers Per Row)
- Matrix of Drop-down menus
- Single Textbox
- Multiple Textboxes
- Comment/Essay Box
- Numerical Textboxes
- Demographic (U.S. or International)
- Date and/or Time
Other Question Types:
- Sort/Randomize answer choices
- Add Comment Field
- Validate Text
- Require Answer to Question
- Change Question Size and Placement
- Font Types and Formatting
- Bold, Italics, bullets, HTML, etc.
Saving the Survey
Clicking Save Changes in the question builder automatically saves the survey. If you log out and return later, just click the Design icon next to the survey title to enter the Edit Survey mode again.
Edit a question by clicking Edit Question. NOTE: Editing is limited for questions with responses.
- Can I edit the survey after collecting responses?
- How to add page breaks and modify a page description?
The difference between these show within the analysis. Rating questions assign weighted values to the answer choice columns, and they produce a Rating Average in the Analyze section. Matrix of Choices questions do not have this functionality.
To view an example of each question type before you add it to your survey, hover over any question in the BUILDER section of the left sidebar.
In New Design, some question types have been combined into one. The settings within the question type allow you to further control the type of data the question will collect. For example, you can validate fields, add weights to answer choices, or allow more than one answer choice for certain question types.
The table below lists the question types available in Classic Design, and which question types you can use in New Design to achieve the same functionality.
|Classic Design||New Design|
|Multiple Choice (Only One Answer)||Multiple Choice or Dropdown|
|Multiple Choice (Multiple Answers)||Multiple Choice|
|Comment/Essay Box||Comment Box|
|Matrix of Choices (Only One Answer Per Row)||Matrix/Rating Scale|
|Matrix of Choices (Multiple Answers Per Row)||Matrix/Rating Scale|
|Rating Scale||Matrix/Rating Scale|
|Matrix of dropdown menus||Matrix of Dropdown Menus*|
|Single Textbox||Single Textbox|
|Multiple Textboxes||Multiple Textboxes|
|Numerical Textboxes||Multiple Textboxes|
|Demographic Information (U.S.)||Contact Information|
|Demographic Information (International)||Contact Information|
|Date and/or Time||Date / Time|
|N/A||Net Promoter® Score|
*This question type is only available on professional plans.