Who is the SurveyMonkey Audience?
SurveyMonkey’s “Audience” is a large group of people SurveyMonkey has recruited to take surveys on behalf of SurveyMonkey customers who purchase our SurveyMonkey Audience product. There are nearly one million members who have signed up to take surveys, and thousands of members join each day.
We maintain a member site called SurveyMonkey Contribute to recruit members to take surveys on behalf of our customers. We also maintain a Global Partner network for access to millions more respondents. We maintain these multiple sources because different member benefits and recruitment mechanisms attract different types of people. For certain types of surveys (e.g., longer surveys or surveys that only apply to a highly targeted or custom targeted group) may require different types of incentives. We seek to recruit a wide variety of members to ensure we can fill the needs of as many customer projects, as cost effectively as possible.
Please review our FAQ article about our Global Partner Network for more information about recruiting and incentivizing these respondents.
We recruit people to SurveyMonkey Contribute through a variety of means. The primary method of recruitment is SurveyMonkey surveys. Over 30 million unique respondents answer SurveyMonkey surveys sent out by our subscribers each month.
When designing a survey, our subscribers can decide what they want to do when respondents click the “Done” button. By default, we redirect respondents to a SurveyMonkey landing page that thanks them for completing the survey, and features an advertisement for SurveyMonkey products.
In many cases, we advertise SurveyMonkey Contribute on this closing page. We ask survey respondents if they would like to take additional surveys to benefit charities and have a chance to enter a sweepstakes. Up to tens of millions of people see this page each month and many of them join our SurveyMonkey Contribute member base.
When new members sign up, they fill out a profile which asks them key demographic, attitudinal and behavioral questions that allow us to send them relevant surveys. In addition, anyone who visits our website SurveyMonkey Contribute can sign up to receive surveys and in exchange for participation, donate money to charity and have a chance to enter a sweepstakes.
- In exchange for providing their time and opinions, we provide members of SurveyMonkey Contribute with two non-cash rewards. We believe that by offering these incentives, we limit the problems that can arise from offering cash rewards, such as satisficing, and encourages respondents to provide honest, thoughtful opinions.
- Additionally, with the SurveyMonkey Contribute non-cash awards, we believe we almost eliminate any incentive for providing false or inaccurate data or creating multiple member accounts. For more information about our member bases, please review the SurveyMonkey Audience Data Quality Whitepaper.
Each survey respondent who finishes a survey receives:
- A $0.50 donation to the charity of their choice (SurveyMonkey makes this donation on their behalf, and has a variety of charity partners which members can choose from)
- An entry into an instant win sweepstakes to win $100 (SurveyMonkey randomly selects 1 winner per week)
SurveyMonkey Audience demographic composition
When we run a project for you, we ask you how many responses you need, and any specified targeting requirements (e.g. gender, age, income, location, etc.). In many cases, customers have no targeting requirements and just need a sample of the general population to take their survey.
- Our Audience is, overall, a diverse group of people and is reflective of the U.S. population (and of other country populations for our international members). However, it is comprised of people who have Internet access and have joined a program to take surveys, this it does skew in some ways from that of the overall population. Review this FAQ article for more information about the Audience demographic composition.
We're here to help! If you have any questions or if you want to launch a project, please use the SurveyMonkey Audience contact form.
For more information on SurveyMonkey Audience, please visit our SurveyMonkey Audience website and click the "Get Started Now" button in the top right corner of the page and complete the contact form. An Audience representative will be in touch with you as soon as possible, always within one business day.