Embedding Questions in Email Invitations
If you're using a supported question type as the first question in your survey, you can use Email Invitation and embed it in an email so customers can respond with just one click. As soon as a respondent clicks an answer option in the email, they’ll be sent to the first page of your survey to continue taking the survey.
How to Embed
To embed a question in an email invitation:
- Go to the Design Survey section of your survey.
- Add a supported question type to the very beginning of page 1.
- Make sure your survey meets the design requirements. Don't enable any option that would disqualify the question or you won't see the Embedded option!
- Go to the Collect Responses section of your survey.
- Create an Email Invitation.
- Compose your message using the Embedded option.
- Click Edit to customize the text that appears before the question in the email or to change the message format.
- Click Save to save and preview your message. You can preview a desktop and mobile version of your email by clicking the computer and mobile phone icons in the lower-left corner of the message preview.
When a respondent clicks an answer choice in the email, we record the response in your results and send them to the first page of your survey so they can answer the rest of the questions. Any logic in your survey will work as normal after they click Next on the first page.
When a respondent goes to your survey, they'll see their response to the question from the email pre-selected in SurveyMonkey. They don't have to answer it again, but if they decided to change their answer, it'll update in your results.
Supported Question Types
To embed a question in an email invitation, you need to use one of the following supported question types as the first question on page 1 of your survey:
Survey Design Requirements
To embed a question in an email invitation, you must meet the survey design requirements before you can see the Embedded option in Email Invitation. Additionally, the settings and options you've applied on the question you want to embed might disqualify it or cause it to rend differently in the email than what you see in your survey design.
- You must use a supported question type as the first question on page 1 of your survey—you can't add anything from the BUILDER menu (like an Intro Page or Text) in front of the question.
- You can't use Page Randomization or Block Randomization on page 1 of the survey.
Multiple Choice Question Settings
If you're using an unsupported question setting on the question you want to embed, you won't see the Embedded option in Email Invitation.
- You can't allow more than one answer on the question you want to embed.
- You can't insert an image or video in an answer choice on the question you want to embed.
- If you enable the Randomize, Flip, or Sort Choices option on the question you want to embed, you can't randomize or flip answer choices, but you can alphabetize them.
- You can't enable the Adjust Question Layout option on the question you want to embed.
- You can't enable Question Text A/B Test option on the question you want to embed.
- You can add Other as an answer option or comment field to a Multiple Choice question you're embedding. If you display Other as an answer choice, the answer choice will display in the email, but not the corresponding textbox—respondents will see the textbox as soon as they select Other and go to the survey. If you display Other as a comment field, you won't be able to embed the question.
- If you changed the layout of the question to 2 columns, 3 columns, or horizontal, it'll be displayed as 1 column in the email.
Why does the email look different than what I see in SurveyMonkey?
If you update your survey design after scheduling your message and it no longer meets the requirements, we'll send the default Standard template.
Email clients can render HTML messages differently, which can cause HTML Template or Custom HTML messages to display differently than what you expect.