Can I add images or pictures into the survey?
With any account type, free or paid, you're able to add images into your survey using our image question type. A few key things to remember:
- Only one image can be uploaded into the question type. If you have multiple images, these will need to be uploaded one at a time into separate questions.
- If you'd like respondents to choose images as answer choices, unfortunately this isn't something we have available (except for those who code this manually using HTML).
- Use only jpgs, pngs or gifs.
The file size is limited to 150K for usability and download time. If your image is too large, please re-save the file at either a smaller dimension or at a higher compression level.
Edit Image Size: To change the file, you'll need to do so in a program external to SurveyMonkey. At this time, we don't have a feature to edit them directly inside the Edit Survey mode.
How to Add Images:
- Click Create Survey to begin creating a survey, or click Design Survey if you're already working on one.
- From here, click Add Question.
- From the question type drop-down menu, select Image and choose either of the following methods:
- Upload from your Computer: Browse to the location on your computer where you have the image stored. Upload it to our server.
- Enter the URL to a Hosted File: Host it on your own server and create a URL for the image that points to this location.
Steps to upload the image:
- First, save the file as a .jpg, .png or .gif to a drive on your computer. Most likely you will have a My Pictures folder on a drive on your computer, or it's always handy to save the to the desktop.
- You'll be prompted to "Browse..." your computer to find the image or to type in the URL to a hosted image.
- Once you've found the image and selected it, this will upload that file directly from your computer (or hosted URL) into the survey.
NOTE: Having issues uploading your image? If so, view the following troubleshooting topic: Image Upload Tips.
Tip for Creating an Image as an Answer Choice:
You will not be able to create images as answer choices. If you need the input of respondents, you must ask follow-up questions about it.
Consider the following option to create this effect:
- Add images to the survey using that available question type.
- Label them however you would like (e.g. image 1, image 2, image 3, etc.) by typing in a label text for the respondents to see.
- Follow-up with a Multiple Choice (One Answer Allowed) type question with the text used to identify the images as the answer choices. Respondents can pick the image by the labeled answer choice within this new question.