Adding Images or Pictures to a Survey
- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in a limited beta.
Which version am I using? »
With any account type, free or paid, you're able to add images into your survey using our image question type. A few key things to remember:
- Only one image can be uploaded into the question type. If you have multiple images, these will need to be uploaded one at a time into separate questions.
- If you'd like respondents to choose images as answer choices, unfortunately this isn't something we have available (except for those who code this manually using HTML).
- Use only jpgs, pngs or gifs.
The file size is limited to 150K for usability and download time. If your image is too large, please re-save the file at either a smaller dimension or at a higher compression level.
Edit Image Size: To change the file, you'll need to do so in a program external to SurveyMonkey. At this time, we don't have a feature to edit them directly inside the Edit Survey mode.
How to Add Images:
- Click Create Survey to begin creating a survey, or click Design Survey if you're already working on one.
- From here, click Add Question.
- From the question type drop-down menu, select Image and choose either of the following methods:
- Upload from your Computer: Browse to the location on your computer where you have the image stored. Upload it to our server.
- Enter the URL to a Hosted File: Host it on your own server and create a URL for the image that points to this location.
Steps to upload the image:
- First, save the file as a .jpg, .png or .gif to a drive on your computer. Most likely you will have a My Pictures folder on a drive on your computer, or it's always handy to save the to the desktop.
- You'll be prompted to "Browse..." your computer to find the image or to type in the URL to a hosted image.
- Once you've found the image and selected it, this will upload that file directly from your computer (or hosted URL) into the survey.
NOTE: Having issues uploading your image? If so, view the following troubleshooting topic: Image Upload Tips.
Tip for Creating an Image as an Answer Choice:
You will not be able to create images as answer choices. If you need the input of respondents, you must ask follow-up questions about it.
Consider the following option to create this effect:
- Add images to the survey using that available question type.
- Label them however you would like (e.g. image 1, image 2, image 3, etc.) by typing in a label text for the respondents to see.
- Follow-up with a Multiple Choice (One Answer Allowed) type question with the text used to identify the images as the answer choices. Respondents can pick the image by the labeled answer choice within this new question.
There are two ways to add images to your survey in the Design Survey section:
- Unembedded images - Add images into the body of the survey, separate from any questions.
- Embedded images - Add images directly into question text or answer choice fields using the rich text editor.
You can add an unembedded image via URL from the web, or you can upload the image from your computer, Dropbox, Evernote, Flickr, Gmail, or Instagram.
Image Upload Requirements:
- JPEG, PNG, or GIF format.
- Maximum size 150KB.
If your image file exceeds the file size limit, you can upload your image to your own web server or an image hosting service and enter its URL to add it to your survey.
To add an unembedded image to a survey:
- Click the Design Survey tab.
- Click BUILDER.
- Click Image to add an image to the end of the survey. Or, drag and drop Image into the desired position elsewhere in the survey.
Add your image:
- Click Upload file to upload an image from your computer, Dropbox, Evernote, Flickr, Gmail, or Instagram. Follow the on-screen instructions to choose the image.
- Select Enter the URL of an image on the web to add an image from the web.
- Click Save.
To add an embedded image as question text or an answer choice, you will need to upload your image to your own web server or an image hosting service.
You can add an embedded image by using the rich text editor in the following fields:
- Question Text
- Answer choice fields (except Dropdown answer choices)
- A/B Test (Random Assignment) variable fields.
You cannot insert images in the following fields:
- Validation error messages
- Answer choices a Dropdown question type
- Page Title
- Page Description
To add an embedded image:
- In the field where you want to add an image, click P in the rich text editor menu.
- Enter the image URL in the Source field. The URL must end in .jpg, .gif, or .png.
- To resize the image, enter the new dimensions in pixels. To maintain the same height to weight
- Click Ok.
When you add an embedded image using the rich text editor, you will see the option to change the image dimensions. You can also choose whether or not to constrain proportions.
If you need to resize an unembedded image, you will need to do this in a program outside of SurveyMonkey.