Adding Images or Pictures to a Survey
- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in beta.
Which version am I using? »
With any account type, free or paid, you're able to add images into your survey using our image question type. A few key things to remember:
- Only one image can be uploaded into the question type. If you have multiple images, these will need to be uploaded one at a time into separate questions.
- If you'd like respondents to choose images as answer choices, unfortunately this isn't something we have available (except for those who code this manually using HTML).
- Use only jpgs, pngs or gifs.
The file size is limited to 150K for usability and download time. If your image is too large, please re-save the file at either a smaller dimension or at a higher compression level.
Edit Image Size: To change the file, you'll need to do so in a program external to SurveyMonkey. At this time, we don't have a feature to edit them directly inside the Edit Survey mode.
How to Add Images:
- Click Create Survey to begin creating a survey, or click Design Survey if you're already working on one.
- From here, click Add Question.
- From the question type drop-down menu, select Image and choose either of the following methods:
- Upload from your Computer: Browse to the location on your computer where you have the image stored. Upload it to our server.
- Enter the URL to a Hosted File: Host it on your own server and create a URL for the image that points to this location.
Steps to upload the image:
- First, save the file as a .jpg, .png or .gif to a drive on your computer. Most likely you will have a My Pictures folder on a drive on your computer, or it's always handy to save the to the desktop.
- You'll be prompted to "Browse..." your computer to find the image or to type in the URL to a hosted image.
- Once you've found the image and selected it, this will upload that file directly from your computer (or hosted URL) into the survey.
NOTE: Having issues uploading your image? If so, view the following troubleshooting topic: Image Upload Tips.
With a professional plan, you can use HTML to add images as answer choices. The image must be hosted outside of SurveyMonkey. There are several free image hosting sites you can use, like Imgur or Photobucket.
First, enable HTML formatting on your account:
- Click your username in the upper-right corner of your account.
- Under GENERAL PREFERENCES, click Edit next to HTML Formatting.
- Click Enable HTML.
Once HTML formatting is enabled, you can use HTML code in the answer choice fields when you edit a question. To insert an image, you can use the following code. Just replace the text in bold with your own image URL:
If you want to add text the answer choice as well (for example, a description of the image), simply add the text after the HTML code, like the following:
The <br> tag will add a line break between the image and the text.
When you analyze your results, be aware that the file name may show in the data table and charts, instead of the image itself.
There are three ways to add images to your survey in the Design Survey section.
Adding an Independent Image
An independent image is a static image, separate from any survey questions. You can add an independent image via URL from the web, or you can upload the image from your computer, Dropbox, Evernote, Flickr, Gmail, or Instagram.
To add an independent image to a survey:
- Click the Design Survey tab.
- In the BUILDER section of the left sidebar, drag and drop Image into the desired position in the survey.
Add your image:
- Click Upload file to upload an image from your computer, Dropbox, Evernote, Flickr, Gmail, or Instagram. Follow the on-screen instructions to choose the image.
- Select Enter the URL of an image on the web to add an image from the web.
- Click Save.
- JPEG, PNG, or GIF format.
- Maximum size 150KB. If your image file exceeds the file size limit, you can upload your image to your own web server or an image hosting service and enter its URL to add it to your survey.
Adding Images to Question Text or Answer Choices
You can use the formatting toolbar to add an image into a question text or answer choice field. You will need to upload your image to your own web server or an image hosting service such as Imgur in order to do this.
To add an image using the formatting toolbar:
- In the text field where you want to add an image, click P in the formatting toolbar.
- Enter the image URL in the Source field. The URL must end in .jpg, .gif, or .png.
- To resize the image, enter the new dimensions in pixels. To maintain the same height to width ratio, select Constrain proportions.
- Click Ok.
You can add an image using the formatting toolbar in the following fields:
- Question Text
- Answer choice fields (except Dropdown answer choices)
- A/B Test (Random Assignment) variable fields.
You cannot insert images in the following fields:
- Validation error messages
- Answer choices for a Dropdown question type
- Page Title
- Page Description
Image A/B Tests
Image A/B Tests allow you to randomly display different versions of an image and set the percentages of your respondents that will be shown each variation. Learn more: A/B Tests (Random Assignment)
When you add an image using the formatting toolbar, you will see the option to change the image dimensions. You can also choose whether or not to constrain proportions.
If you need to resize an independent image, you will need to do this in a program outside of SurveyMonkey.