Can I validate responses typed into the open-ended fields?
When creating Single and Multiple Textbox questions, you can validate how the responses are to be entered by respondents.
The Validate Text option is located in the list of features when creating or editing questions. In addition, this is available anytime the Add Comment Field option is enabled on Multiple Choice, Matrix, or Rating questions.
You can apply Text Validations on the following:
- Single Textbox
- Multiple Textbox (*All textboxes will have this validation)
- Multiple Choice (One or Multiple Answers allowed)
- All Matrix types
- Rating types
NOTE: The Numerical textbox does not have this feature since it only allows positive, whole numbers.
Once this feature is applied, you will click the dropdown menu to access the following parameters for the comment box. A second prompt menu opens for further validation options like date ranges, character lengths, etc.:
- don't validate comment text
- must be a specific length
- must be a whole number
- must be a decimal number
- must be a date (MM/DD/YYYY)
- must be a date (DD/MM/YYYY)
- must be an email address
Example - Date Validation:
You want respondents to enter a date that falls between specific time periods.
If you select the following option from the Text Format valdiation drop-down menu:
- a second prompt menu will open beside it. This is where you will type in the date ranges:
Text Format: Date (MM/DD/YYYY) between (MM/DD/YYYY) and (MM/DD/YYYY)