Are my survey responses anonymous and secure?
It's up to each survey creator to decide to collect responses anonymously or to capture respondents’ personal information. Respondents’ personal information can be captured by the survey creator in two ways: by expressly asking you for your personal details (name, address, etc.) and by configuring the survey to automatically capture your IP address and/or email address.
SurveyMonkey provides several survey distribution methods called collectors. Every collector type has different settings that affect the survey-taking experience.
- All of collectors allow the survey creator to collect responses anonymously.
- All collection methods permit the tracking of respondent IP addresses.
- Anyone using the Email Invitation Collector could potentially track an email address on the response.
Survey creators may have their own privacy policies which apply to surveys that they create using our services and that detail how they handle your personally identifiable information.
- We encourage you to read any such policy, or to contact the survey creator directly to ask them any questions about their privacy practices.
- If the survey creator has not disclosed the collection method in the introduction of the survey, please contact them to verify if the response is anonymous.
SurveyMonkey takes our users’ security and privacy concerns seriously. We strive to ensure that user data is kept secure, and that we collect only as much personal data as is required to make our users’ experience with SurveyMonkey as efficient and satisfying as possible. We also aim to collect data in the most unobtrusive manner possible. We aim to be transparent about our security infrastructure and practices to help reassure you that your data is sufficiently protected. For more details, see our Security Statement.
If the URL of your survey begins with https://, your survey responses are sent over a secure, SSL encrypted connection. Whether a survey offers this depends on whether the survey creator has enabled this feature.