What is SurveyMonkey Audience?
SurveyMonkey Audience is a product we launched in late 2011 to help your survey reach a broad group of people or a targeted population. All you need to do is set up your survey on SurveyMonkey, select your target Audience, and watch your results roll in. Currently, we can provide respondents in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, and Australia.
Wondering how SurveyMonkey Audience differs from SurveyMonkey? That's a great question!
The primary difference is that as a SurveyMonkey user, you can design and distribute surveys to your own list of respondents. But when you purchase from SurveyMonkey Audience, you tell us what type of people you want to take your survey, and we'll find those respondents for you. We've created an article about the differences between SurveyMonkey and SurveyMonkey Audience if you'd like more information.
Ready to get started now?
Use the SurveyMonkey Audience contact form to let us know!
Otherwise, check out the links below to learn more about SurveyMonkey Audience.
- Setting up your SurveyMonkey Account
- Creating the Survey
- Determining the Audience for your Project
- How many respondents do you need?
- Contact us
Setting up your SurveyMonkey Account
- In order to use SurveyMonkey Audience, you need to have a professional level SurveyMonkey account, which includes the SELECT, GOLD, and PLATINUM level plans. Please review our pricing page for information about the features available and pricing for our professional plan levels.
- If you don't already have a SurveyMonkey account, review this page and click the "Sign Up" button shown under the plan level you choose.
- If you have a BASIC SurveyMonkey account, this FAQ provides instructions for upgrading your Basic account.
- You must be on one of the professional level SurveyMonkey plans, which includes the SELECT, GOLD, and PLATINUM plans. Depending on the complexity of your survey and specificity of your targeting requirements, you may need a GOLD or PLATINUM account.
- Currently, the SELECT level plan is the only professional level plan available on a monthly renewal basis.
Creating the Survey
Whether you're about to create your first survey or you're already a pro at using SurveyMonkey, you'll be happy to know that all of the easy to use survey design features in SurveyMonkey are available to you when you buy an Audience.
General survey creation assistance
- SurveyMonkey is used by millions of survey creators every year. Once you have created your account, you can use our self-service tools to build a survey. If you've never used SurveyMonkey before, there's a very helpful tour of a SurveyMonkey account and its features.
- The SurveyMonkey Help Center contains helpful and thorough FAQ articles, including specific information about how to create a survey, and Survey Monkey blog posts specifically about survey methodology and general best practices.
- If you are interested in getting our help designing your survey, we can provide survey design services.
- If you already have a survey ready to go, but aren't sure how to create the web link we need to review your survey, we can help with that too!
Tips for effective surveys using SurveyMonkey Audience
You should still consider the audience you are targeting and ensure that your survey is clear and simple to understand for all potential survey respondents. We have provided several links below to help you build an effective survey for use with SurveyMonkey Audience.
- Using SurveyMonkey features, such as skip logic, in the survey and pilot projects in order to help target very specific respondents
- Learning what demographic information we'll provide in your results and other demographic questions you'll need to include in the survey itself
- Tips for creating a successful SurveyMonkey Audience survey
- How you'll need to handle potentially offensive topics or questions in your survey
- Review our SurveyMonkey Audience Content Policy for information about prohibited activities
Tips and guidelines for Academics
In many cases, Academics have a specific set of guidelines to follow when using SurveyMonkey surveys, and perhaps more so when using SurveyMonkey Audience. Because of this, we have created specific information about how Academics use SurveyMonkey Audience.
When you launch a SurveyMonkey Audience project, one key step is to determine the audience you need for your survey. Some key considerations include:
- Countries where you want to target (e.g. Americans or Australians)
- Specific targeting attributes you want to target (e.g., Smartphone owners or Mothers)
Demographic and behavioral attributes
- SurveyMonkey Audience gathers a wide variety of profile attributes for each of our members. When members sign up to take surveys, we ask them to complete a profile survey that includes various questions about demographic, behavioral and attitudinal attributes. More information is available about how we recruit members to take surveys.
- SurveyMonkey Audience has a wide variety of general and specific demographic targeting attributes available to help you find the respondents you need.
- Contact an Audience Project Specialist to see if we can provide an audience to meet your targeting needs.
Locations and countries
We have members who have registered to take surveys in several countries. If you need respondents from countries where we don't have respondents, please use the SurveyMonkey Audience contact form to see if we have added any new countries or have the ability to work with our partners to deliver your respondents.
Countries where we have an audience for your survey projects
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Contact us for any other countries
How many respondents do you need?
Determining the number of respondents you need is a tricky question, but it is really determined by the size of the population you are taking a sample from (i.e. If you are sampling Americans, you are sampling from over 300 million people) and the confidence level you want to have in your data. We've created a blog post about sample size, which may be helpful.
Sometimes, you may just need a pulse and sample size is less important, but you should always consider whether you have enough respondents to make accurate conclusion.
We have provided a helpful guide on how to determine how many respondents you need with various population sizes and confidence levels.
If you want to send your survey to your own groups of contacts, you certainly can! When we launch your project, we'll create a separate collector where all the responses from your Audience project will be delivered. You can set up a new collector for your own group of respondents.
We're here to help! If you have any questions or if you want to launch a project, please use the SurveyMonkey Audience contact form.
For more information on SurveyMonkey Audience, please visit our SurveyMonkey Audience website and then click the "Get Started Now" button in the top right corner of the page to complete the contact form. An Audience Project Specialist will be in touch with you as soon as possible, always within one business day.