What is SurveyMonkey Audience?
SurveyMonkey Audience is a product we launched in late 2011 to help your survey reach a broad group of people or a targeted population. All you need to do is set up your survey on SurveyMonkey, select your target Audience, and watch your results roll in!
Wondering how SurveyMonkey Audience differs from SurveyMonkey?
That's a great question! The primary difference is that as a SurveyMonkey user, you can design and distribute surveys to your own list of respondents.
But when you purchase survey responses from SurveyMonkey Audience, you tell us what type of people you want to take your survey, and we'll find those respondents for you. We've created an article about the differences between SurveyMonkey and SurveyMonkey Audience if you'd like more information.
Ready to get started now?
Please visit the SurveyMonkey Audience home page and get in touch with us!
Otherwise, check out the links below to learn more about SurveyMonkey Audience.
- Setting up your SurveyMonkey Account
- Creating the Survey
- Determining the Audience for your Project
- How many respondents do you need?
- Contact us
Setting up your SurveyMonkey Account
- If you are located within the United States, you can use the "Buy a Targeted Audience" collector type to set up and launch your own Audience project on any SurveyMonkey plan level (BASIC, SELECT, GOLD, and PLATINUM). *Please note: with the BASIC account level, you can only view up to 100 responses per survey.
- In order to view and purchase more than 100 responses, you need to have a professional level SurveyMonkey account, which includes the SELECT, GOLD, and PLATINUM level plans. Please review our pricing page for information about the features available and pricing for our professional plan levels.
- If you don't already have a SurveyMonkey account, review this page and click the "Sign Up" button shown under the plan level you choose.
- If you have a BASIC SurveyMonkey account, this FAQ provides instructions for upgrading your Basic account.
- If you are located outside of the United States or need more than 100 responses for your Audience project, you must be on one of the professional level SurveyMonkey plans, which includes the SELECT, GOLD, and PLATINUM plans.
- We typically recommend the GOLD or PLATINUM level plans for our Audience customers.
- Currently, the SELECT level plan is the only professional level plan available on a monthly renewal basis.
Creating the Survey
Whether you're about to create your first survey or you're already a pro at using SurveyMonkey, you'll be happy to know that all of the easy to use survey design features in SurveyMonkey are available to you when you buy an Audience.
General survey creation assistance
- If you've never used SurveyMonkey before, there's a very helpful tour of a SurveyMonkey account and its features.
- The SurveyMonkey Help Center contains specific information about how to create a survey, and Survey Monkey blog posts specifically about survey methodology and general best practices.
- Check out the SurveyMonkey Audience Survey Writing Guide for general best practices
- If you prefer video guides, check out SurveyMonkey Audience's Survey Design Video Tutorial Series
- If you are interested in getting our help designing your survey for use with SurveyMonkey Audience, we can provide survey design services.
- If you already have a survey ready to go, but aren't sure how to create the web link we need to review your survey, we can help with that too!
Tips for using SurveyMonkey Audience
You should still consider the audience you are targeting and ensure that your survey is clear and simple to understand for all potential survey respondents. We have provided several links below to help you build an effective survey for use with SurveyMonkey Audience.
- Need help getting your project off the ground? Check out the SurveyMonkey Audience Getting Started Guide
- Using SurveyMonkey features, such as skip logic, in the survey and pilot projects in order to help target more specific respondents
- Learning what demographic information we'll provide in your results and other demographic questions you'll need to include in the survey itself
- If you need top to bottom help with your SurveyMonkey Audience project, we've collected our best resources for creating Audience projects just for you
Tips and guidelines for Academics
In many cases, Academics have a specific set of guidelines to follow when using SurveyMonkey surveys, and perhaps more so when using SurveyMonkey Audience. Because of this, we have created specific information about how Academics use SurveyMonkey Audience.
When you launch a SurveyMonkey Audience project, one key step is to determine the audience you need for your survey. Some key considerations include:
- Countries where you want to target (e.g. Americans or Australians)
- Specific targeting attributes you want to target (e.g., Smartphone owners or Mothers)
Demographic and behavioral attributes
- SurveyMonkey Audience gathers a wide variety of profile attributes for each of our members. When members sign up to take surveys, we ask them to complete a profile survey that includes various questions about demographic, behavioral and attitudinal attributes. More information is available about how we recruit members to take surveys.
- SurveyMonkey Audience has a wide variety of general and specific demographic targeting attributes available to help you find the respondents you need.
- Please visit the SurveyMonkey Audience home page and get in touch with us!
Locations and countries
We have members who have registered to take surveys in several countries. If you need respondents from countries where we don't have respondents, please visit the SurveyMonkey Audience home page and get in touch with us!
Countries where we can readily access respondents for your survey projects:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Visit the SurveyMonkey Audience home page and get in touch with us for any other countries
How many respondents do you need?
Determining the number of respondents you need is a tricky question, but it is really determined by the size of the population you are taking a sample from (i.e. If you are sampling Americans, you are sampling from over 300 million people) and the confidence level you want to have in your data. We've created a blog post about sample size, which may be helpful.
Sometimes, you may just need a pulse and sample size is less important, but you should always consider whether you have enough respondents to make accurate conclusion.
We have provided a helpful guide on how to determine how many respondents you need with various population sizes and confidence levels.
If you want to send your survey to your own groups of contacts, you certainly can! When we launch your project, we'll create a separate collector where all the responses from your Audience project will be delivered. You can set up a new collector for your own group of respondents.
We're here to help! If you have any questions or would like more information about SurveyMonkey Audience, please visit the SurveyMonkey Audience home page and get in touch with us!