Adding a Video
- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in beta.
Which version am I using? »
If you have a video hosted on YouTube, Google Video, Yahoo Video, Vimeo, or another video hosting site, you can use HTML code for an iframe in a Descriptive Text question to display your video.
To enable HTML formatting, you need a professional plan.
Adding a Video
To add a video to your survey:
In order to add a video, you'll need to have HTML enabled in your account. Here's how to do this:
- Click the My Account tab.
- Under the Preferences section, click Edit.
- Click Enable HTML.
- To turn it off, simply click the Disable HTML button.
For additional support in HTML, please refer to the following site as we only offer limited support: http://www.w3schools.com/html/
On YouTube or Vimeo, copy the embed code for your video. The embed code is a string of HTML that allows you to put a video directly into your survey.
SurveyMonkey doesn't host videos, but if you have a video hosted on an external site you can use HTML code for an iframe in a Descriptive Text question to display your video.
- Go to the Design Survey section of your survey.
- Once you are in the Edit Survey area, click Add Question.
- From the question type drop-down menu, pick Descriptive Text
- In the Descriptive Text field, add the embed code that is provided by your video hosting provider.
Important for Private Videos: Once the embed code is pasted, add an "s" after the initial "http" to ensure your video remains private and visible only to SurveyMonkey panel members.
Because we currently do not offer a direct video question type, you or your respondents could experience any of the following:
- Display issues with different browser types
- Depending on the browser type you are using, you could have design editing issues in our survey design editor.
- Some browsers may require that your respondents install a plug in to watch the video.
- Some browsers may not show the content.
Creating a Random Assignment Video Question
Follow the instructions in the following article on Random Assignment and use the Text Variable Random Assignment type. Then add a video according to the instructions above.
Adding a Sound Clip to Your Survey
Host the sound clip or song on another site. For more information, we recommend using the information at this site: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_sounds.asp
You can add any video hosted on YouTube or Vimeo into question text or answer choice fields.
Or, you can drag and drop Text from the BUILDER into your survey design, and add a video there — independent of any questions in the survey.
To add a video:
- On YouTube or Vimeo, copy the embed code for your video. The embed code is a string of HTML that allows you to put a video directly into your survey.
- In SurveyMonkey, click the textbox where you want to add the video.
- Click V in the formatting toolbar.
- Click the Embed tab.
- Paste the video embed code in the text box.
- Click Ok.
At this time there is no way to add sound clips to a survey.