Adding a Video
- Classic Design
- New Design
Classic and New DesignD
Classic Design is our original survey design tool. New Design is our new survey design tool that is currently in beta.
Which version am I using? »
At SurveyMonkey, we don't presently have a specific video or sound clip question type. However, if you have a video hosted on an external site like YouTube, Google Video, Yahoo Video, Vimeo or another video hosting site, you can use HTML code for an iframe in a Descriptive Text question to display your video. This FAQ is for informational purposes only and requires some knowledge of HTML.
NOTE: HTML formatting is only available to paid professional subscribers at this time.
Important - Limitations:
Because we currently do not offer a direct video question type, you or your respondents could experience any of the following:
- Display issues with different browser types.
- Depending on the browser type you are using, you could have design editing issues in our survey design editor.
- Some browsers may require that your respondents install a plug in to watch the video.
- Some browsers may not show the content.
How to enable HTML in your SurveyMonkey account:
In order to add a video, you'll need to have HTML enabled in your account. Here's how to do this:
- Click the My Account tab.
- Under the Preferences section, click Edit
- Click Enable HTML.
- To turn it off, simply click the Disable HTML button.
For additional support in HTML, please refer to the following site as we only offer limited support: http://www.w3schools.com/html/
Adding a Video to Your Survey
SurveyMonkey doesn't host videos, but if you have a video hosted on an external site you can use HTML code for an iframe in a Descriptive Text question to display your video.
- Click Create Survey button to begin. (Or click the Design icon to enter into an existing survey.)
- Once you are in the Edit Survey area, click Add Question.
- From the question type drop-down menu, pick Descriptive Text
- In the Descriptive Text field, add the embed code that is provided by your video hosting provider, an example code snippet from YouTube (without the URL to your video) is provided below:
- <iframe width="560" height="345" src="URL FOR YOUR VIDEO" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- To use the code snippet above, replace text URL FOR YOUR VIDEO with the URL that points to your video. If you would like to change the size of your video, adjust the frame width as needed.
How to Create a Random Assignment Video Question:
Follow the instructions in the following FAQ on How to Create a Random Assignment Question and use the “Text Variable” Random Assignment Type. Follow the instructions above in this FAQ on How to Add a Video.
Adding a Sound Clip to Your Survey
This is achieved in a very similar way to the above method to add a video. The sound clip or song will need to be hosted on another site, for example, the Yahoo Media player or a similar site. For more information, we recommend using the information at this site: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_sounds.asp
You can add any video hosted on YouTube or Vimeo into question text or answer choice fields.
Or, you can drag and drop Text from the BUILDER into your survey design, and add a video there — independent of any questions in the survey.
To add a video:
- On YouTube or Vimeo, copy the embed code for your video. The embed code is a string of HTML that allows you to put a video directly into your survey.
- In SurveyMonkey, click the textbox where you want to add the video.
- Click V in the formatting toolbar.
- Click the Embed tab.
- Paste the video embed code in the text box.
- Click Ok.
At this time there is no way to add sound clips to a survey.